Mario And Sonic At The Winter Olympics Confirmed

Read more about it in ONM 40! Out tomorrow...

Sega has officially confirmed that Mario & Sonic At the Olympic Winter Games will be coming to Wii and DS in late 2009 and you'll be able to see the first screens in Issue 40 of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale tomorrow.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will take players to Vancouver, Canada, host city of the official 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

Developed by Sega of Japan, under the guidance of Shigeru Miyamoto, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games you'll be competing as a cast of legendary characters, including some new faces to the series which will be revealed later this year.

The trailer that's now showing on our video player shows Mario, Sonic, Wario and Eggman snowboarding and other events confirmed so far include Alpine Skiing and Speed Skating but more events will be announced throughout the year. You'll also be able to use the Wii Balance Board for some events.

The Wii game will offer co-op and competitive gameplay where the Nintendo DS brings an intense competitive element using the Nintendo DS wireless capabilities.

"We are extremely happy to again team up with Nintendo and ISM on what promises to be another global success." said Naoya Tsurumi, CEO, SEGA of America and SEGA Europe. "Sonic will partner with Mario once more beneath the spotlight of the legendary Olympic Games. Together they will face new athletic challenges that will provide gamers with more of the exciting experiences unique to this series."

President Of Nintendo Of America Reggie Fils-Aime added "SEGA has been a valued publishing partner of Nintendo for many years and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the ultimate representation of that relationship," We look for this game to continue the tradition its predecessor started by bringing new events, new characters, and new gameplay experiences to fans worldwide."

Finally Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and CEO of ISM, said "To once again have Mario and Sonic and friends compete in Olympic sports and events in a winter setting is tremendously exciting for the Olympic Movement and the millions of gamers worldwide who enjoyed the characters' previous match up."

Comments

1. superscott Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 14:21

It was only a matter of time really...

2. Sparkle Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 14:35

I'm looking forward to this- Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games brought casuall and 'hardcore' gamers together. Everyone enjoyed it, and multiplayer was really fun. Hopefully this will be just as good.

3. Falcon1991 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 14:45

Eurgh.

4. JohnWilliam Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 14:49

I knew it! This is the 'major announcment' right? I have lost ALL faith in ONM. I trusted you to bring a proper game, but NO you reveal this crap! Well done ONM, you have brought me half way to suicide.

5. ChrisONM Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 14:54

To be fair mate, it may not appeal to you, but a sequel to the biggest-selling third-party game on the Wii is a major announcement.

6. tomonm Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 14:55

I fail to see how it isn't a proper game...

7. Gothicslayer Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 14:59

I fail to see how it isn't a proper game...

It's a saturated market.

Mini-game collection...

You even yourself complain about how there are too many on wii.

8. JohnWilliam Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:00

I fail to see how it isn't a proper game...

In proper I mean an adventure game would have been better than a game about something most people don't like.

9. TheAPERSON Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:03

As I said in the big announcement thread, it's your own fault for overhyping it.

Now, hopefully next time we'll get a proper annoucement.

10. 13th Nightmare Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:05

I really enjoyed Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. And seeing as it did sell quite well, it was only natural that a sequel would appear in some form. And it is good to see that they will be using the Winter Olympics for it. Imagine having to pump the Wii Remote and Nunchuck up and down to gain speed as you go down the hill for the Ski Jump, or before you set of on a Toboggan. Or push a different buttons to get the stone as close to the middle in the Curling

11. Icarus_Kid Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:07

Oh no, I hated the first one, sold it after two week... I really hope this isn't Onms' 'big announcement' which caused a delay for subscribers, if so I'm glad i've cancelled my subscription...

12. mewthree Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:15

So... it is the big subscription-delaying announcement?

13. JohnWilliam Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:17

So... it is the big subscription-delaying announcement?

Sadly, yes. A waste of an announcment really

14. my mario box Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:25

What?! That's the major game announcement?! This is pathetic! I expected Nintendo to get up off their butt and give the world something it really needed! Instead, they just go out and dish out some awful excuse to rake money in. The last one was awful, what can we expect in this one? ONM, you should be ashamed, calling this a major announcment. I've lost all faith in you- you've just lost a customer. :x

15. tomonm Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:32

I'm not going to use quotes any more because I don't want to see that pic of that Phoenix Wright bloke again!

Have you played the first game JohnWilliam? Seeing as it sold 10 million worldwide, it can't really be said that most people don't like it! If you've played it and don't like it that's fair enough of course!

Also, I'd like to add that it's not a mini-game compilation. You wouldn't call Track & Field a mini-game compilation. Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games is a sports game. Okay, it might not feature real athletes but they are competing in real sports events.

16. mewthree Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:34

Well... let's face it, it's a surprise. On a website full of people wanting a Kid Icarus game (most of whom only heard of him in Brawl and likely never played the actual original game), it's something we didn't see coming.
    True, I was hoping for a new Starfox or F-Zero, but this does have potential with the new characters!
    It was a massively successful game (M&S@OG) and a sequel was not only inevitable, but a good financial decision.
    E3 or TGS seem to be the big events, and with such a short time until them, I'd say Nintendo still have a few tricks up their sleeves. (Maybe not E3 then, as they've said themselves it's not the place Nintendo want to reveal big games at any more).

17. JohnWilliam Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:36

Have you played the first game JohnWilliam?

Yes and it stank.

18. Aki-toriko Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:36

I'm in. The summer one is easily better than Wii Sports, not that thats saying much mind you.

I'm also glad because while I'll be enjoying it (hopefully), it'll give the hardlycores another reason to sob into their pillow at night. Good job Sega

19. DBZFan355 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:41

Hopefully this will be up to the standard of the original. I haven't been too happy with them last year.

20. superscott Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:42

Lol. The Olympics isn't the most watched sporting event in the world at all...

21. mewthree Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:44

Lol. The Olympics isn't the most watched sporting event in the world at all...

Yeah, that's Wrestlemania.

22. tomonm Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:48

Lol. The Olympics isn't the most watched sporting event in the world at all...

Yeah, that's Wrestlemania.

Wrestling isn't a sport.

23. link289 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:51

This is the big announcement... :(

24. darkandy666 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:51

i saw this coming it looks quite good

25. ramzezh Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:54

i enjoyed the first game quite a bit so aslong as they impove on it ( like addin online) i will probably end up buying it. However i am a little annoyed the it caused a delay for the mag. i cant see how announcing it a couple of days earlier would have made any difference at all.

26. link289 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:55

I can't believe this.
    Why was this so hyped up?
    You got me thinking starfox, f-zero, zelda (!), a proper brand new mario game or a sequel to Galaxy, kid icarus...Oh :cry:

27. Heroofhyrule Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 15:59

To tell you the truth, i'm a fair bit dissapointed =s

By the way, did you know that most of wrestling is acted? :roll:

I was expecting something a little, bigger for the big announcement (unless this isn't the big announcement)

28. darthmario Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:03

I'm very excited about this for many reasons-

1. The new sports such as snowboarding should be great espicially with the balance board.

2. New characters!

3. Hopefully Sega will have the brains to add online play. If so I can't wait to have online snowboarding races similar to Mario Kart Wii. It'll be even better with Wii Speak.

4. Mario and Sonic was my favourite sports game ever.

Its going to be Great!

29. YAYFORNINTENDO Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:03

This wasn't the BIG annonuncement was it?

30. link289 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:09

This wasn't the BIG annonuncement was it?

Sadly yes.
    I'm terribly sorry if you had faith.
    *grabs hat* *leaves*

31. superscott Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:14

Lol. The Olympics isn't the most watched sporting event in the world at all...

Yeah, that's Wrestlemania.

I can't believe Wrestlemania gets a bigger global audience than the Olympics.

The viewing figures for Beijing were in the BILLIONS

32. Rudie111 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:15

I wish everyone would stop crying for a new mario or zelda.

If they rushed them out every other year, they would probably be terrible games with no new features!!

Hopefully this game will be as good as the last.

I agree this is quite boring on 1 player, bubt just like mario kart, comes into its own with multiplayer.

4 player 100m is amazing!!

Might have to get wii fit now.

33. Rudie111 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:16

Repost - sorry

34. Rudie111 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:19

Repost - sorry

35. link289 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:26

I don't want this months ONM issue anymore.

36. cjayp33 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:27

yes i am interested in this game and yes i have numer 1 and will get this one.

But this is really not good for your exclusive as it is over hyped. I bet the reason you said it was massive was because it has sold well. Also yet again i knew about this ages ago and yet again the Spanish ,ago beat you.

In future can you not hype it as much as i do not classify this as a major game and what also might be good is to put a small footnote in the mag saying this exclusive may be anounced or broken before you get the mag.

while your exclusive may be good, you are always beaten to it, so maybe drop the exclusive bit when adverting the announcement.

37. Manius Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:34

I will be looking out for this. The first game had lots of new features and hopefully the second game will be as innovative and as interesting as the first

38. Funkymunkz Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:36

Well really, this unavoidable. Shows some relative promise. I'll wait for more info though. :)

39. dalekmaster Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:37

Well, that was expected. :D

Seriously, I challenge you to get an exclusive on a major game, and make sure it isn't announced before hand. It's sounds impossible, but i'd like to think you could do it.

TBH, M&S2 isn't exactly a game i'm going to crazy about, the first one was okay, but not hugely amazing. If it has Bobslieghing however, it's No.1 on my wishlist.

40. random_guy_14 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 16:48

THIS was the big announcement that has been hyped for ages?

I think my faith in all things Nintendo has just died a slow, painful death from tubercolosis...

If this issue is a pile of crap then I'm cancelling my subscription. Seriously, this is the big game announcement? I still can't believe it. I don't care much about how many copies the original made, it was just another casual game where the fun dies out after about a day or two.

Next time, make sure the big game announcement is actually a big game, like a new F-Zero, Kid Icarus or StarFox, because that's the sort of game I, and many others, want from Nintendo.

41. wilfer 11 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 17:08

2. New characters!!

yeah coz more characters make a game better? :? :? :?
    i'm Beebed of with this if you can't tell which you probably can't :wink:

42. sonicfever Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 17:28

Well I was originally dessapointed at the announcement of this, but the new trailer has convinced me otherwise. I cant wait to get my hand on the great events that SEGA and Nintendo will pour into this game!

43. PsychoPikmin Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 17:46

The first Mario & Sonic was easily as good in multiplayer as Brawl,so this'll be equally awesome.I WANNA BOBSLED!!

44. MattIRL Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 17:49

Big announcement? I loved the first game and I will definately buy this game, but still, don't u think u might just have overhyped this one??

45. chaz 1805 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 18:07

I still play the original in multiplayer, and if the new one has wi-fi play and a goomba as a playable character it'll be essential. :D

46. mewthree Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 18:07

Lol. The Olympics isn't the most watched sporting event in the world at all...

Yeah, that's Wrestlemania.

I can't believe Wrestlemania gets a bigger global audience than the Olympics.

The viewing figures for Beijing were in the BILLIONS

*cough* joke *cough*

47. Icarus_Kid Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 18:16

I don't want this months ONM issue anymore.

I'm never getting ONM again :D Because I can't trust their reviews and the previews, features etc. arn't very good in my opinion (plus, I don't like the layout :S)

48. City Of Delusion Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 18:21

Lol. The Olympics isn't the most watched sporting event in the world at all...

Yeah, that's the Super Bowl.

Fix'd.

And if this is why the subscribers don't have their copies yet, ONM scores a failure, frankly.

49. koopamaster Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 18:32

hoorah?

50. shy guy 64 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 19:07

i thought we wernt going to see a sequal till 2012

51. yubel Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 19:14

Oh.
    So it isnt the big announcement?
    Thats a relief. :oops:

Anyways,i hardly touched the first one, i need to get back to it and give it anouther shot before getting thrilled about this one.

52. Jedi_jester Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 19:26

Great, cant wait. I would rather winter sports to summer ones.

I really hope it has multi player online. :)

53. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 19:44

This'll either be a huge hit or a huge miss

I also hope that when Nintendo said they were working on new Mario and Zelda games, that this wasn't the Mario game. Sure, this could be a good game, but I know that most of us are waiting for a NSMB2 or Galaxy 2...

54. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 19:44

This'll either be a huge hit or a huge miss

I also hope that when Nintendo said they were working on new Mario and Zelda games, that this wasn't the Mario game. Sure, this could be a good game, but I know that most of us are waiting for a NSMB2 of Galaxy 2...

55. Bellicapelli Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 20:44

If Sega can improve on the original's online mode and introduce a proper wi-fi experience (to rival Mario Kart) rather than simply the record uploads available on the Summer Games then they are onto potentially the game of the year!

If not - I'm afraid it all sounds rather gimmicky - but at least it will sell well in Sweden!

56. link289 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 20:51

Oh.
    So it isnt the big announcement?
    Thats a relief. :oops:

It isn't? :|

57. Paper Luigi Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 20:51

I hope that wasn't the major announcment.

1. I already new.

2. It's not a big deal.

3. You spoiled most of the point in buying the magazine, I wanted it to be a suprise.

58. chris0010 Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 21:24

lol cant say I'm not suprised, I knew this so called announcement thing would turn out to be some casual shovelware game. ppl really shouldn't hype things up so much. anyways I'm just glad Wii owners got house of the dead and the conduit to look forward too, those games will be slick.

59. go4it Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 21:29

Winter Olympics?
    Never heard of them.
    What's next? "Mario + Sonic at John Hampden Grammar school sports day"? "Mario + Sonic learn to make Food"? "Mario + Sonic: Stupid Snakes"?
    God, just wait for 2012, Nintendo!
    P.S Oh yeah. ONM, you have spoiled 2 major (or 1 major and 1 minor, in some opinions) events in the next issue!

60. ILoveWii Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 21:37

@Paper Luigi: You already knew because it was spoiled on the internet.

And it is a big deal, to some people.

And it looks awesome.

61. niallswand Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 21:53

Was this the "big game release"?
    Bloody hell, I spend 5 weeks getting excited over this?
    "Oh great! Lets play a game i've already played, but with a white floor instead!!!"

62. niallswand Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 21:53

Was this the "big game release"?
    Bloody hell, I spend 5 weeks getting excited over this?

63. niallswand Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 21:53

Was this the "big game release"?
    Bloody hell, I spend 5 weeks getting excited over this?

64. niallswand Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 21:56

Was this the "big game release"?
    Bloody hell, I spend 5 weeks getting excited over this?

65. mewthree Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 22:08

Was this the "big game release"?
    Bloody hell, I spend 5 weeks getting excited over this?

We heard you the first time!

66. Icarus_Kid Thursday 12th Feb 2009 at 23:23

Was this the "big game release"?
    Bloody hell, I spend 5 weeks getting excited over this?

We heard you the first time!

Aw, you beat me to it mr.Three >.<

67. Bellicapelli Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 04:11

Winter Olympics?
    Never heard of them.
    God, just wait for 2012, Nintendo!

Probably the paraolympics...

68. Heroofhyrule Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 09:41

Winter Olympics?
    Never heard of them.
    God, just wait for 2012, Nintendo!

You've never heard of the winter olympics? What do you do? hibernate over the winter or something?

69. Laughlyn Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 10:09

cant say i'm suprised this would be out, especially with the success of the first one.

Altho if they deceide to do a Konami and have a track and Field style game fo reach olympic games (2012/2014 ect) then they need to think hard about adding extra feautures since there isnt a great deal u can do with the events as they same all the time.

70. hikickry Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 10:25

Oh dear. I'm not going to go over three pages of old ground, but, suffice to say, I'm not pleased with this announcement. Thats pretty annoying.

Oh, and massive sales don't mean brilliant games. Example, Ubisoft have just shifted over a million in it's imagine series(z). Point made.

God, such a disappointment. Indiana Jones got announced, I thought that might have been your announcement. No. Then Dead Space, I thought maybe that? No. Now I see it's something that holds no interest for me whatsoever.

I feel you may have shot yourself in the foot a touch here, ONM. While this will undoubtedly appeal to many, I feel it will be your subscribers (including me), your core fanbase, questioning the amount of hype you have placed on this announcement. I think there will be a lot of us reading this issue with a bitter taste in their mouth.

71. seby dude Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 10:51

*fingers crossed* bobsledding bobsledding

JAMAICANS

72. Poke-J Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 11:19

The snowboarding events seem interesting, I might buy it.

73. starfox1994 Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 13:49

To me, MASATOG seems like king of a cash-in to me. Just saying.

*gets out flame-proof shield*

74. Heroofhyrule Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 13:53

To me, MASATOG seems like king of a cash-in to me. Just saying.

*gets out flame-proof shield*

that last sentence was like saying:
    "flame me! I want to be flamed! hahah! come and get me!"
    not smart...

75. wilfer 11 Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 16:40

@Paper Luigi: You already knew because it was spoiled on the internet.

And it is a big deal, to some people.

And it looks awesome.

It's a big deal to people who can't dealwith real games and think it's fun to waggle the wii remote round like a TWŁ&

"oh mummy this is so fun i can loose weight now" "no timmy you can't you have to buy wii fit for that " "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i hit the Tv by accident because i was playing snow boarding while standing on the wii waaaaa"

so now for making this happen millions of children cry themselves to sleep nintendo you Ba$&Ł$ds

76. wilfer 11 Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 16:43

I am really depresseeed about the announcement and as i said before calling a casual game major and as someone said before "because it takes less time to make" so it'll obviously be CRAP
    I agree with your points by the way and i'm angry

77. supersonic123 Friday 13th Feb 2009 at 19:14

I'm really looking forward to this game as the Olympic games was such a massive hit! I'm hoping to see the were-hog as one of the characters that would be interesting.

78. wilfer 11 Saturday 14th Feb 2009 at 13:01

iv'e just have to say i'm dissapoointed with the announcement and ONM you said that this was exclusive to the mag in the forums and thhat it's a big deal for a mag these days when you get information like this on the web for free yet you reveal it on the website? WTF :evil:

79. niallswand Monday 16th Feb 2009 at 01:03

*Sigh*

I don't like to complain but I'm sure you've realised that the Wii was meant for everyone.

Also, I'm sure your aware that people that have never played games before and see them as "fat people makers", people in hospital recovering, people that are youger than my new wallpaper in Animal Crossing and 80 year olds would much much much rather play as an animated version of themselves, or just a randomer, than a Big Blue Thing that looks like a 'Pot Cleaning Untensil' or a 'Small Immigrant That You Think Should Go To Primark".

Oh I'm only joking, I love a good moan.

80. Kolo67 Saturday 25th Apr 2009 at 08:26

I can see myself using the balence board and going down the slopes at full speed.