100 Best Nintendo Games - Part Two

80-61! The countdown continues

We've only just begun our countdown of the greatest Nintendo games ever and already it has started some arguments! One forumite said that Jet Force Gemini and Conker's Bad Fur Day should be higher up, another though Rogue Leader was placed too far down while another argued that World Of Goo shouldn't be in there at all. See if you agree with this lot...

80. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Format: GameCube, Released: 2004

Metal Gear briefly returned to Nintendo with this brilliant remake of the PlayStation's seminal stealth action game. This is pure Snake heaven before the action was ruined by day-long cut scenes!

Punch-Out!!
Punch-Out!!

79. Diddy Kong Racing

Format: N64, Released: 1997

The game everyone played when they were bored of Mario Kart! Yet with its adventure mode and different vehicles this is much more than a clone.

78. WarioWare, Inc

Format: GBA, Released: 2003

WarioWare introduced us to micro games - short, five second long burst of joy that demand the reactions of David James. The sequels couldn't match the impact of the original.

77. The Legend Of Zelda

Format: NES, Released: 1987

While the first Mario Bros. is our best game ever, the original Zelda isn't held in such high esteem. Still, it introduced us to Link, Hyrule, and Ganon. It's highly influential and still very enjoyable to this day.

76. Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts

Format: SNES, Released: 1992

Mega Man 9 aside, they don't make platformers as challenging as this any more. It's great fun though!

75. Sonic Advance

Format: GBA, Released: 2001

As the first Sonic title to appear on a Nintendo system after Sega pulled out of the console race, there was a lot riding on this one. Thankfully, it was the finest Sonic game since the Mega Drive golden years and remains a 2D classic.

74. Punch-Out!!

Format: NES, Released: 1987

When you break it down to its basic elements, there's not much to Punch-Out!! except for dodging left and right and punching at the right time. But it's such a well-balanced mix of simplicity and strategy that it's still great fun today.

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby's Adventure

73. Super Mario Land

Format: Game Boy, Released: 1989

The first handheld Mario title might have been ridiculously short but it was many gamers' first introduction to Nintendo and a true playground classic. On top of that, it's got some of the greatest videogame music ever composed to boot.

72. Advance Wars

Format: Game Boy, Released: 1989

The first game in the Advance Wars series (and a continuation of the Nintendo Wars franchise) remains a stone cold genre classic. An almost faultless blend of fiendish strategy and Nintendo magic, this is essential.

71. Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow

Format: GBA, Released: 2003

Although all the GBA and DS Castlevania games are brilliant in their own right, Aria Of Sorrow is the stand-out, bringing the franchise into the 21st Century with a bang. Fang-tastic stuff.

70. WWF No Mercy

Format: N64, Released: 2000

By far the best wrestling game ever released and a fantastic fighting game in general, No Mercy had a huge roster of wrestlers and many modes, but the deep and tactical gameplay was what made it a legendary title.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 12:21

Proffesor Layton should have got better than that!

2. emerson Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 12:25

Right, if you're going to do this, it's a waste of my time and my money to buy the magazine...consider yourselves a customer down.

3. nintendood Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 13:44

Well technically the list wasn't in the magazine...it came as a free booklet. :wink:

4. PinkPenguin Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 14:00

How can Double Dash > Diddy Kong Racing?? :(

I love Diddy Kong...2 player adventure mode FTW!

5. Xexix Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 15:28

Bloody hell, even free stuff is on the internet now! Your magazines are officially a waste of space. And also, Kid Icarus is awful. All it is is "Find a key and find the door on a boring stage while killing weird enemies", and quite frankly nobody really enjoys those games.

6. waleed644 Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 16:25

i was second hand game shopping at cex and i came across a game i never knew it was out on wii. it is Bully scholarship edition by rockstar a game that ruled the ps2. I played the game and thought it is probably the best game on wii cause the story is awsome and the motion gameplay is great.I found out that ONM never reviewed the game and was shocked because bully is an absolute necessety for the wii for any over 15s. The game is basicly the school version of san andreas or any other GTA game. so go out and get it because this is a must have.

7. waleed644 Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 16:26

8. Super_Sonic96 Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 18:01

I think that Professor Layton should be a bit higher, but I actually totally agree with all them exept that one.

9. Super_Sonic96 Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 18:03

10. Wiiki Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 18:32

Lol at the cheapshot at MGS, jealous much?

11. Wiiki Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 18:32

Lol at the cheapshot at MGS, jealous much?

12. Ryu5 Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 22:15

How can Double Dash > Diddy Kong Racing?? :(

I love Diddy Kong...2 player adventure mode FTW!

doubldash/mkds whould be higher than mariokart wii DEFINETLY: i hate Mario Kart wii, yeah that's right, i SED IT!!!

also, i'm amazed at how some of the games that you claim to be the best of the console at this moment are near the bottom: proffessor layton, it just leaves me wondering wots up there.... :roll: ^

13. KillbotB Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 22:28

that was a cheap shot at MGS and not expected from a professional magazine

14. Esper Thursday 19th Feb 2009 at 22:35

WarioWare on the Gamecube would've been the better choice.

I mean, it's basically the same game but with incredible multiplayer.

Y/N?

15. Nintendoid Friday 20th Feb 2009 at 00:26

Call me foolish...but Advance Wars, 1989, on the Game Boy? Admittedly that was a year before I was born, but that can't be right. Am I right in thinking that they mean Game Boy Advance, sometime in the early noughties?

16. Shikea Friday 20th Feb 2009 at 01:41

Nice childish dig at MGS, notice how all the ones absent on nintendo platforms were far better?

17. ChrisONM Friday 20th Feb 2009 at 09:42

Lol at the cheapshot at MGS, jealous much?

Not really.

I've always preferred the first MGS: I prefer to play games that aren't littered with overly-long cutscenes.

18. tomonm Friday 20th Feb 2009 at 10:14

Okay, perhaps ruined was a bit harsh! Broken up might have been a better way to put it. Personally, I'm not a fan of the very long cut scenes but I know some people are...

19. Wiiki Friday 20th Feb 2009 at 20:25

Lol at the cheapshot at MGS, jealous much?

Not really.

Fair enough but stating that they "ruined" the new games was daft.

20. goblix Friday 20th Feb 2009 at 21:20

SERIOUSLY!!!

Diddy Kong Racing may have been a complete copy of Mario Kart, but it was an improvement!!! (almost)... (actually come to think of it, it wasn't an improvement at all)

But anyway, surely diddy kong should be much higher up in the ranking. i mean, not just a kart, but a hovercraft and a plane as well!! what more could you possibly want!! (about 10 years ago)

21. AbbaCraka Friday 20th Feb 2009 at 23:11

Diddy Kong Racing is a truly amazing game, better than Double Dash for sure. Its your call ONM, though mine would be much different

22. Nintendo Boy Saturday 21st Feb 2009 at 11:56

Metal gear solid was a gc exclusive...

23. YCshinobi Saturday 21st Feb 2009 at 11:58

How can Double Dash > Diddy Kong Racing?? :(

I love Diddy Kong...2 player adventure mode FTW!

I completly agree with you, I hate Mario Kart Wii as well, how the hell it came fourth I dunno. Mario Kart DS is so much more deserving, it has alot more effort put into it.

Other way around in my opinion, MK Wii > MK DS, I think the Wii, Gamecube and N64 versions are my favourites, with the Wii version just about taking the no.1 spot, and being my second favourite game on Wii, all the handheld versions suck, and I didn't get to play the original SNES version so I can't comment on that.

24. ot3p Saturday 21st Feb 2009 at 16:13

Where is Castlevania 4 and Castlevania (nes version)?
    They must be before Aria of Sorrow !

Without them NO Aria of Sorrow ! :x

25. Munchlax OWNS Saturday 21st Feb 2009 at 17:12

Kirby's BEST (according to you) is only worth 69th place?

:lol: lol69.

26. wariorulez Saturday 21st Feb 2009 at 17:13

I know this may come across as my "WARIOfanboyism" but WarioWare should be much higher as it is the best minigame series ever created and deserves a place in the top 50.

Once again, no bias, but Wario Land 4 deserves a place in this section of the list as the best platformer on GBA (that isn't a SNES game).

Wario Land 2 should be in the top 30 though!

Otherwise some more classics in this section too!

27. wazlon Saturday 21st Feb 2009 at 20:42

In my opinion Diddy Kong Racing beats every version of Mario Kart. The adventure mode is cool and you don't have to rely on getting random powerups, so there's more skill involved. The zipper technique was cool, taking your hand off the A button before hitting it was a great idea.

There's also a choice of car, hovercraft and plane and the bosses are fantastic.

The magic codes really enhanced the multiplayer mode too, you could turn off powerups, turn off zippers and do so much more than you've ever been able to with Mario Kart games.

That's not to say I don't like Mario Kart (I love Mario Kart Wii & DS and all the other versions) but none have ever compared to Diddy Kong Racing because they lack the depth that DKR had.

28. .Yoshi. Sunday 22nd Feb 2009 at 11:32

I have no argument in the ordering I think its spot on. :D
    And does anyone know which street fighter game is best on VC? I really need to know which one is the best buy as they are all 800 points. None of them are just called: Super Street Fighter II.

29. The Eskimo King Monday 23rd Feb 2009 at 19:43

Tking cheap shots at MGS4 is just childish and wrong. The fact is that it is one of the greatest games ever made (Fact not opinion) and it will sdly never come to a Nintendo console now stop being bitter and look at all the other fantastic Nintendo exclusives.

30. ChrisONM Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 16:41

No, that's opinion, no matter how sure of it you are. I didn't like MGS4: that doesn't make me wrong. It doesn't make me right either, it simply means I didn't like it.

31. City Of Delusion Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 17:28

The fact is that it is one of the greatest games ever made (Fact not opinion)

Let's put that fact to the Metacritic test, then.

As you can see, MGS4 is the 6th highest rated game on the PS3. However, there are at least 78 other games on all formats with a Metacritic score of 94% or above.

In other words, it's in the lower reaches of any top one hundred.

32. Oddworld98 Monday 9th Mar 2009 at 16:49

Lol at the cheapshot at MGS, jealous much?

Not really.

Hmmm... looks like Chris has no time for a plot. If you want long, you play the original Metal Gear Solid- that won a Guinness World Record for a single 15-MINUTE CUTSCENE. Or you could try MGS4 and its 30-minute-ish credit sequence plus coda. Beats hitting stuff for 5 seconds. :lol:

33. crazyturtle1234 Friday 30th Oct 2009 at 13:12

Lol at the cheapshot at MGS, jealous much?

Not really.

:roll: You DO realize the cutscenes were skippable, don't you? Giving way to some of the best stealth gameplay in recent years?

34. crazyturtle1234 Tuesday 17th Nov 2009 at 11:33

Lol at the cheapshot at MGS, jealous much?

Not really.

furthermore, pokemon ranger (and its sequel too)had that insanely long tutorial, that was essentially telling you something you could have mastered in a matter of seconds, yet you gave it a high score. The cutscenes in MGS, while long, were really well done and meaningful, with amazing acting. The pokemon ranger tutorial was just incredibly boring, unlike Metal Gear's cutscenes. Also, the tutorial wasn't even skippable, unlike all of MGS4's cutscenes. So yeah, pretty apalling argument you had there.