100 Best Nintendo Games - Part Four

40-21... We're close to the top twenty!

There really were some great games in part three. So many good ones that many of you argued that they should have been higher. GoldenEye, Zelda: Majora's Mask and Pokémon Red/Blue are just a few of the games that some readers would have placed further up the list. But it just goes to show how many great Nintendo games there are that some true classics can be found in the bottom half of this list. Anyway, read on for the next 20 games and be sure to leave your comments at the bottom.

40. Pilotwings 64

Format: N64. Released: 1997

It's a shame that it's been over 10 years since a Pilotwings game was released. This N64 launch title got lost in the excitement of Mario 64 but it is still a great game which sees you completing missions in different vehicles. The Birdman mode in particular deserves a mention. One of the most relaxing games that you'll ever play.

Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime 3
39. F-Zero X

Format: N64. Released: 1998

F-Zero X is another Nintendo game that made the leap to 3D in style. Unlike its GameCube sequel it managed to find the balance between challenging gameplay and accessibility. Thrillingly fast, these hovercrafts can reach speeds of 1,000 kph as you take on 29 rival racers on futuristic courses.

38. Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Format: DS. Released: 2007

Phantom Hourglass has all the beauty of Wind Waker with some brilliant touch screen controls thrown in. Some marks are knocked off for having to trawl through that first temple time and time again but this is another classic Zelda adventure.

37. Perfect Dark

Format: N64. Released: 2000

Perhaps because it didn't star Bond, Perfect Dark was never quite as celebrated as GoldenEye, which is a shame as if you play them both again you'll find that Joanna Dark's shooter is the superior game. It looked fantastic at the time and the multi-player mode is still great.

36. Banjo Kazooie

Format: N64. Released: 1998

Rare were on fire in the late '90s producing classic upon classic. Banjo Kazooie is to Mario 64 what Diddy Kong Racing is to Mario Kart. It couldn't quite match Mario's magic but the bear and bird had a good go. Collecting golden jigsaw pieces is a joy from start to finish, and the sequel isn't too shabby either.

35. Metroid Prime 3

Format: Wii. Released: 2007

While the story isn't quite as gripping as Samus' first space shooter, the final part of the Prime trilogy is still a fantastic finale and highlights the brilliance of Nintendo's new control system. This is one of the best looking games on Wii and proves to the world that the console can handle first-person shooters.

New Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros.
34. Super Mario RPG

Format: SNES. Released: 1996

It's ridiculous that Mario's first RPG didn't reach Europe until 2008. The most welcome of all Virtual Console releases, this is Mario meets Final Fantasy as the plumber turns his hand to turn-based battles as he searches

for Princess Peach.

33. Okami

Format: Wii. Released: 2008

There isn't a more beautiful moment in gaming than when you revive a blossom tree and see the landscape come to life. Perhaps if it had starred a man rather than a dog it would have been commercially successful but let's forget about sales for once and just enjoy it.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. JohnWilliam Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 16:30

SMB2 shouldn't even be in the top 100! And Wii Sports? Not even the top 200, let alone 21st! :roll: But it is your opinion after all. :|

2. tomonm Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 16:36

Wii Sports is brilliant! I love it. Obviously we've justified it in the text but the fact that our readers selected Wii Sports Resort as their most wanted game for 2009 suggests that we're not the only ones who think its great.

3. Shikea Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 16:57

Despite not being a huge fan of my wii, tom is right, Wii Sports is a fantastic game, as was mario 2.

After playing this, Nintendo fans must have wept when Square made the switch to PlayStation for the astounding Final Fantasy VII.

Oh we did, but damn six was good

4. Esper Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 17:25

Phantom Hourglass over Majora's Mask? Tsk tsk.

Good to see Pilotwings getting some love, though.

5. Bongo-Bongo Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 18:16

Wii Sports at number 21 made baby Jesus cry. Sure it's fun, but I highly doubt there's many who can say that they have had more hours of enjoyment out of it then they have Majora's Mask, Goldeneye, Paper Mario Okami and Pokemon? I very much doubt it.

6. Smash-bros fan Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 18:30

WII SPORTS!!! HIGHER THAN BANJO KAZOOIE!!!!!
    no. just no. I really like wii sports but I think it was placed too high.

Then again, (ONM Will want to kill me for this) but Mario 64 isnt that great. Banjo Kazooie was better. sorry

7. JohnWilliam Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 19:37

We voted it for Motion Plus. And I'll admit it is fun while it lasts, but 21st? There are many more better games than that (more than 20), say 200?

8. sir_ryan Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 20:26

However fun or influencial it was, that can't possibly justify it being positioned at 21.

9. Mama Luigi Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 20:27

No Tales of Symphonia as of yet? Oh and why isn't Super Metroid in the Top 10?

Do ONM expect me to believe that genre defining games such as Chono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Banjo Kazooie, F-Zero X and Starwing aren't as good as Wii sports? Sales don't mean everything you know...

10. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 20:52

Woah woah, NSMB and Mario RPG WORSE than Wii Sports!!! :evil:

You've let me down ONM... :cry:

11. Big Guy Zee Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 21:39

No Tales of Symphonia as of yet?

That has got to be in the top-ten at least.

12. Hazz22 Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 21:58

hang on....run that past me again, WII SPORTS WAS LOWER THAN MARIO KART AND ZELDA PHANTOM HOURGLASS?!?!?! seriously onm?! what were u thinking? its not a full game, sure its fun, and it great with friends...but theres no unlockables, no extra modes, nothing...its not a full game!! come on! i think most people would agree with me....same on you onm!

13. Colonel-Austin Tuesday 24th Feb 2009 at 22:36

I'm not going to go into a huge rant here but expect SEVERAL long rants if there are no Fire Emblem/Battalion Wars games in the top 20. By far my favourite 2 franchises.

14. Barton Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 10:23

*sigh*

I loved wii sports when it first came out and yes it is still fun to play with freinds but come on......Okami is in my opinion, is the greatest game ever made..its so engrossing and deep..its just amazing..(btw props to ONM for persuading me to buy it)

also i recently went on a skiing holiday and had a 30 hour coach drive...me and my freinds all started a new game on red and blue and it is still as amazing as ever......i'm just not best pleased that a half-game like wii sports to come above both these games is not right...i just can't see me playing wii sports in 10 years like pokemon and it cannot compare to okami.......

15. tomonm Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 13:34

Do you know what? I can. When I get out an old console I'm unlikely to sit down and play an old adventure game for 40 hours. Certainly if I've already completed it. There are too many current games for me to play to do that. I'm far more likely to get out my N64 and play Mario Kart with my friends for nostaligic purposes (I used to play it all the time at university).

I can imagine people getting out a Wii in 10 years time and having a nostalgia trip with their friends as they play Wii Sports again.

16. Spoon-man Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 19:21

Agreh at Super Mario Bros 2 and Wii Sports' positioning. Why, ONM? WHY? World of Goo was way better than both of these put together. You make me cry :'(

17. Barton Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 19:39

To be fair..i wrote my post this morning in the heat of the moment when i looked at the positions, and now this evening..after Tom's point..i do actually agree with him...how annoying...:D...

18. THX-1138 4EB Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 13:35

Wii Sports and Animal Crossing higher than Super Metroid?

19. Brawlftw Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 17:56

Wii sports should be higher on the list, it was the showcase game for something that completely revolutionized the gaming industry. I'm not saying it was better than the likes of Okami or Metroid Prime 3, just that it was more important to gaming in general.

20. Super_Sonic96 Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 17:58

Banjo-Kazooie....only 38? Are you kidding me!!!!????
    Number 2! Simple as!

21. Brawlftw Friday 27th Feb 2009 at 18:15

Banjo-Kazooie....only 38? Are you kidding me!!!!????
    Number 2! Simple as!

Simple as building a functioning rocket with toothpicks, a lightbulb and bubble gum, with a 5 year-old screaming in your ear, perhaps. It should be higher on the list, though, maybe in the 20's.

22. Vianyte Saturday 28th Feb 2009 at 00:50