100 Best Nintendo Games - Part Five

20-11... Just the top ten to go now

Okay we're coming up to the big top ten but there are plenty of great games to fit in before we get there. We left you last time around with one of the most controversial games on the list - Wii Sports. While it is a great game and the main reason why Wii has been so successful some of you felt that adventure games like Chrono Trigger and Okami should have beaten it. Still, it's all about opinions and we like hearing yours. Wonder which game will create the most arguments in the next selection? It might just be the next one...

20. Pokémon Diamond And Pearl

Format: DS. Released: 2007

No list such as this would be complete without an appearance or two from Nintendo's mega-selling, beast-battling colossus. More than a decade on from its inception on the humble Game Boy, collecting 'em all and building the ultimate squad is just as addictive as ever and, with a huge world map and online play, Diamond/Pearl is the definitive (if overly familiar) Poké-package.

Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
19. Advance Wars: Dark Conflict

Format: DS. Released: 2008

It might be one of Nintendo's less celebrated franchises given the niche appeal of the strategy genre but few series can boast such a devoted, slavish following. And with good reason - it's a scarily perfect creation. Few games are capable of so completely ensnaring the player - its chess-like gameplay at once ridiculously sophisticated while still being extremely accessible. The sublime Dark Conflict just gets the nod ahead of the equally superb Dual Strike. It's a more streamlined, content-rich package and the first game in the series to implement online play. If you haven't strapped your CO badge on yet, then the time is now - Advance Wars: Dark Conflict is a game that every Nintendo fan should get behind.

18. Metroid Prime

Format: GameCube. Released: 2002

Few predicted just how successful Nintendo's brave 3D re-imagining of the Metroid series would be. The brilliant blend of exploration, platforming and first-person blasting sucks you into a sprawling adventure that remains in a class of its own.

17. Mario Kart 64

Format: N64. Released: 1996

We've poured more hours of our lives into the N64 take on Mario's racing franchise than almost any other game. Many people argue this is the definitive Mario Kart. Add online play, ramp the speed up, polish the visuals, add a few more weapons and we'd agree!

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros. 3
16. Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Format: Wii. Released: 2006

This spiritual follow-up to Ocarina Of Time is certainly the most epic Zelda adventure ever if not quite the best. The dungeons aren't always up to the series' high standards but this game lives long in the memory.

15. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Format: Wii. Released: 2008

Brawl is basically this entire list condensed into one glorious, chaotic dust-up. Rammed to the gills with Nintendo characters, Brawl is a distillation of everything Nintendo does

best and a classic fighter.

14. Lylat Wars

Format: N64. Released: 1997

Nintendo's follow up to its ground-breaking SNES actioner Starwing took its predecessor's relentless action and made it bigger, better, louder and, basically, more brilliant, adding new land-based sections and a huge map. Fox McCloud's finest hour has still not been bettered - fingers crossed for a return to

the glory days soon.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Mr Resettio Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 13:34

I totally agree with you. although Smash Bros. and Wind Waker should've swapped. GO BRAWL!

2. Sir Lemon Facey Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 14:10

I pretty much totally agree with this part of the list (although I still think Majoa's Mask should've been higher). However, I'm a little worried because there hasn't been a Fire Emblem title in there yet, and somehow I doubt there'll be one in the top ten. I know that most of them weren't released over here, but FE7 or Sacred Stones deserved to be in the list somewhere.

3. funmaker11 Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 14:12

Diamond and Pearl should be slightly lower imo, Platinum might pwn it. The rest, quite agreeable. :D

4. Turkey Toad Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 14:16

Metroid Prime and Wind Waker should have been in the top 10.

Top 5, even.

5. lminett Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 14:17

Brawl should be in the top ten dam it! why have you rated the best wii game to date at 15? it annoys me so much that you rate other games that are good but not nearly as great as brawl above it!

6. james pond Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 16:24

...LOL

Also TP says released in 1996 for N64??

7. Smash-bros fan Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 16:34

surprisingly noot much to argue about here... although Brawl is better than Lylat Wars and Mario Kart 64 is better than the original...
    Hang on... im a bit worried now. Wii Sports was top in the last list. But Wii Play (which sucked) got a higher rating and wasnt on this list! If Wii Play is in the top ten then I will be VERY annoyed

8. ILoveWii Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 16:44

Metroid Prime and Wind Waker should have been in the top 10.

Top 5, even.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I can't actually believe anyone would rate MKWii better than those two phenomenal titles.

9. Hiphopopotamus Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 17:04

I think Brawl and Lylat Wars should be a bit higher, but oh well. Top 20 isn't bad. If Pokemon Crystal isn't in the list, I may cry (although the 'two games in the list' line kinda made it obvious it won't be...

10. Munchlax OWNS Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 17:05

WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE LIKE BRAWL!?!?!?!

It's an amazing game, appeals to everyone, includes loads of classic Ninty characters and items etc. Surely this should be what you're looking for in a brilliant Nintendo game. And what do you do? Give it 95%? THE SAME AS FREAKIN' MY SIMS!?!?!?! In your review, the only bad thing was Wi-Fi lag. I have not experienced this at all (thanks to listening to Samuel L. Jackson), so surely this makes the game perfect?

THEN WHY 15th??????!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!

:evil:

i'm on to you...

11. StriderHedgehog Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 17:11

There's a massive injustice here. Brawl (in my opinion) deserved at least #2. It's an amazingly miraculous game with nearly no bad qualities and what do you do? Give it #15. And you call yourselves Nintendo fans. Don't get me started on Twilight Princess either.

12. City Of Delusion Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 17:16

You obviously never played Melee then. In my opinion, Brawl and Melee should swap places.

13. tomonm Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 17:19

The fact that we gave it 95% and rated uit as our 15th best Nintendo game of all time would suggest that we do like it. We love it! Perhaps just not as much as you do that's all. Any game that gets to number 15 is pretty amazing!

14. Maxz Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 17:41

Brawl was everything Melee was and more.

15. ILoveWii Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 17:46

Why are people praising Brawl over Prime? It owns Brawls ass.

16. DBZFan355 Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 18:20

Correction. Third best game on the Wii.

17. ellroyo Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 18:48

How Metroid Prime is that low is quite beyond me...it's eeeeeeeeeeasily in the Top 5 best games ever full stop, never mind on a Nintendo console.

No game has ever created such an absorbing atmosphere, making you feel totally secluded.

The fact that a game such as Mario Kart Wii is above it is an outrage...MKWii is only the 3rd best MK title (behind super and 64)

Ach well...cannae win em aww

18. Spoon-man Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 19:22

Mario Kart 64 was far too overrated IMO, but it's good to see that you recognized Super Mario World as being better than SMB3

19. lminett Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 19:51

Correction. Third best game on the Wii.

I hope you dont think Mario kart wii is better than brawl, cos it really isnt. And Brawl and Melee are both good, i wouldnt say melee is better, but i do love melee alot, just think brawls just got the more stuff.

I havnet played a better game on the wii, its got a decent single player, the muiltplayer is the best in any game, theres loads or content and its got the best replay vaule in any game.

I dont understand why you guys at ONM havent put it higher in the list cos some of the games above it, i mean resi evil 4? for good shake its not that great, and putting wind waker and mario kart wii above it, and you put Mario 64 above as well?????!

20. lattywatty Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 19:51

Can't believe Metroid Prime isn't in top 10- no, top 5. Brilliant, magical game.

And Mario Kart 64 is, for me, the most overrated game in existance. I found it SO boring, awful controls, glitchy (was that just me?) and, above all, Peach sounds like a man.

21. Dark Toad Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 20:11

I think some people are forgetting a thing called 'opinion'.

22. marioman1 Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 20:15

i think wind waker should be in the top 5 its sooo long and every bit of it is so good should be dead on 5th in fact and i dont know why every one so hyped over brawl 15th is good plus in my opinion it doesnt deserve to be any higher once youve competed story a few times on progresivaly harder levels each time about 2 hrs each go theres nothing else to do apart from the occasional brawl when your mate comes over, and online is just to repetetive

23. Luigi1 Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 20:57

Super Mario Bros 3, in my opinion, deserves to be in the top 10 at least, that game is class! I am in the minority here, but i thought Double Dash was quite good.

24. triforce-manc Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 22:26

We have to remember this is ONM's opinion so therefore there choices are going to be different to what we would think

imo brawl is amazing and just because its #15 to me doesnt tell me otherwise. To me list shows how brilliant Ninty games can are because a lot of people would have had so many more games in the top 10 or 20 that were so far down the list (Goldeneye to some people is the greatest FPS ever, yet its only 55 on this list)

MY top three would be 1.Super Mario world 2.Zelda LttP 3.Super Mario 64

25. Mrlizard Wednesday 25th Feb 2009 at 22:59

Nice to see TP didn't make it into the top 10, but I still think Brawl is too high in that list.

26. Shikea Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 00:17

Metroid Prime and Wind Waker should have been in the top 10.

Top 5, even.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

This, and brawl should not be there. At all, melee or the first one yes, brawl no.

27. angryidol Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 15:50

What?

Metroid Prime at 18? what a load of...

that'd be in my top five: i'd have

5.) Metroid Prime
    4.) Super Mario World
    3.) Resident Evil 4
    2.) Super Mario 64
    1.) Zelda: Ocarina of Time

There, debate solved

28. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 16:27

SMB3 better than Brawl????

Deary me... :roll:

29. lminett Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 17:23

well at least they got number one right. Super Mario bros is the most lengedary game to date!

30. Super_Sonic96 Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 17:56

I think wind waker should be higher, it has lovely visuals, a good playtime, fantastic dungeons, a controversial story, and even gives up the return of the deku sprout! Top 10 in my opinion.

31. Brawlftw Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 18:02

Metroid Prime and Wind Waker should have been in the top 10.

Top 5, even.

:shock: What?! You realise that games are rated in this article (in the majority of cases) based on how important they were for gaming, how revolutionary they were, and how good they were for their era. I see Brawl as the best game on the wii, but still think it should have been in the 20's. Prime should have been in the top 10, but Wind Waker should have taken a back seat in the 40's somewhere, as it is inferior to many of the other games on this list (To name but one, Resident Evil 4).

32. Brawlftw Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 18:04

SMB3 better than Brawl????

Deary me... :roll:

Better than Brawl, most certainly not.

More revolutionary, more of a classic, and arguably the greatest game of its era? Yes.

33. Brawlftw Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 18:11

Correction. Third best game on the Wii.

No correction needed, Brawl is the best. The only game on the wii that I could understand you preferring would be Mario Galaxy.

34. triforce-manc Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 20:40

Correction. Third best game on the Wii.

He could have meant Resi Evil 4 too, or Zelda

35. Mama Luigi Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 21:19

I see what ONM are doing now. They're just randomly throwing the best Nintendo games into a list with no real method of determining what order they should go in.

36. Colonel-Austin Thursday 26th Feb 2009 at 21:35

I find it unreal that the almost standalone genre that Battalion Wars is in is unrepresented. And I know ONM prefers Advance Wars to Fire Emblem but FE has a better storyline and none of the mess of buying units.

In all fairness, FE: Radiant Dawn is my favourite game of all time and BW is my second. But that's my opinion; you are entitled to yours.

37. Zarnak Friday 27th Feb 2009 at 10:13

I never really understood Super Mario Kart - I think 64 was a big improvement (except for not having music in 3-4 player races - what was that about?)

People shouldn't complain... I think that it's too difficult to choose a great game over another great one.
    My opinion obviously...

38. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Friday 27th Feb 2009 at 15:52

SMB3 better than Brawl????

Deary me... :roll:

Better than Brawl, most certainly not.

Yeah, but I think Smash Bros. is the gratest game of it's era too. It was also a classic because of the fact that it unites multiple videogame characters. It was also revolutionary because it showed the true graphical potential of the Wii

(plays Brawl then SMB3) Maybe we'll call it a draw... :wink:

39. ocarinaoftime12 Friday 27th Feb 2009 at 16:31

has it never occured to you that not all people like fighting games
    maybe people dont see the point in adventure games
    some people can't stand 2d games

everyone has different opinions and mine is this

1. Ocarina of time
    2. Super Mario World
    3. Super Mario 64 DS
    4. Call of duty world at war*
    5. Guitar Hero world tour

2 or 3 of those didnt even make the top 100 but they are still legends to me.

* = pm me for codes

40. boeoz Friday 27th Feb 2009 at 18:03

The people acting like Brawl is the be-all-end-all of videogaming really need to play some more games.

Sure it's a fantastic fighting game, but nothing more.

Mario Kart Wii above Metroid Prime and Wind Waker?
    Poor show, really.

41. Brawlftw Friday 27th Feb 2009 at 18:11

SMB3 better than Brawl????

Deary me... :roll:

Better than Brawl, most certainly not.

(plays Brawl then SMB3) Maybe we'll call it a draw... :wink:

Lol fair enough, but I can see why ONM put it above. Seriously, imagine the sort of rubbish SMB3 had to compete with, the likes of "Super Tennis" lol :D
    But don't worry, Brawl is the best game on the wii, no, the best game ever, IMO (lol check my username).

42. City Of Delusion Friday 27th Feb 2009 at 19:38

Brawl was everything Melee was and more.

Melee introduced the vast majority of Brawl's content to the Smash Bros series. The concept of randomised Classic mode, most of its characters, the Special mode, Trophies, and moving stages. Frankly, Brawl didn't bring enough to the party to make Melee old-timers like myself think it's any good.

Frankly, Smash Bros needs a reboot. Brawl is a good game, no doubt about that, but it desperately needs more innovation. In my own opinion, of course: I half expect you to reel off a list in its defence.

43. Vianyte Saturday 28th Feb 2009 at 00:56

I like the slogan :P

"Which entry will cause arguments?"

LOL

Read my flaw list in my sig

44. Colonel-Austin Saturday 28th Feb 2009 at 02:29

Brawl was never as good as Melee to me, for the simple fact that I was 16 for the release of Brawl and by then I needed more substance to a game than what Brawl had to offer - a short Platformer and a basic fighting game being the main bulk of the package. I'm simply not a huge fan of the genre, meaning my favourite games have plot twists and cutscenes, heart-wrenching twists (I actually yelled "CHERNOV!!!" towards the end of CoD:WaW) and a challenge. Brawl gave me one or two of those; FE/BW/CoD gave me all of them.

45. Kolo67 Saturday 28th Feb 2009 at 09:50

I think that Metroid Prime 3 should come much higher than 35. I mean, look at it's graphics! They look like the best on the Wii.
    And, I can't understand why Battalion Wars 2 isn't in this list. This is how my top 5 goes:

5: Sonic Rush

4: Metroid Prime Hunters

3: Animal Crossing: Let's go to the City

2: Battalion Wars 2

1: Metroid Prime 3.

They are all great games.
    That is my top 5.

46. Brawlftw Saturday 28th Feb 2009 at 11:49

I like the slogan :P

"Which entry will cause arguments?"

LOL

Read my flaw list in my sig

Ok, just read your list, a lot of it was just ridiculous. Smash Balls were a good idea, it helped things to stay unpredictable in every match until the very end. If you didn't like them that much, then here's a thought: switch them off. I agree that some of the final smashes are slightly overpowered, but not to the extent that you have mentioned. Zero Suit Samus' can be useful in some situations (I actually find it better than a lot of other characters' smashes), as can Jigglypuff's. You can't really expect all the final smashes to be equal in effectiveness, and there are always bound to be a few clones. The only real flaw I noted in Brawl was the online lag, and even that isn't too bad if it's with friends.

47. TMCOFFEY Saturday 28th Feb 2009 at 12:17

In my opinion you have put my number1 at 11 :evil:

48. Linkydude Saturday 28th Feb 2009 at 23:38

i think brawl and mariokartwii rock

49. wariorulez Sunday 1st Mar 2009 at 11:21

Tetris, Super Mario Bros and MK-Wii should all come down and be replaced by Brawl, Metroid Prime (even though Super Metroid is better) and Lylat Wars.

I'm glad Twilight Princess got so high as it is, in my opinion, the second best Zelda ever after OOT. LTTP is my thrid favourite Zelda though.

Finally,I feel Pokemon should not get into the top 30 as you play one you've played them all and I was not at all compelled to "catch 'em all" anymore- level grinding is tedoius too. Maybe I've just grown up...

50. Red-Wolf Sunday 1st Mar 2009 at 13:31

I think Super Smash Bros Brawl should have been placed much higher, around the regions of 7th or 6th. I don't find much joy in the 2d mario games and while i like a bit of tetris, it quickly becomes boring. And wheres battalion wars 2? it was a bit short, but i found it so compelling and lylat wars isn' really that good. nd wind akr desevred at least 8th.

51. UltimoLittleMac Monday 2nd Mar 2009 at 02:19

I just hope that the dated, clunky, boring and overrated game known as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time doesn't STEAL another top spot. That game is so overrated it's not even funny.

Super Mario World, Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. ect. Now THOSE are Nintendo at its best.

52. 02hollandj Monday 2nd Mar 2009 at 12:47

sorry guys ,but twilight princess is much better than wind waker ,yes ww has an interesting visual style and is still an excellant game but it is too easy and short

53. Super_Sonic96 Sunday 19th Apr 2009 at 10:24

Yes, admittedly it is quite easy and short, but simply put Wind Waker is just so much more memorable and simply put a better experience. The weapons are bestter to boot!

54. gqofficial Tuesday 20th Dec 2011 at 20:25

I'm sorry, but this list is terrible. How in the heck is Majoras mask behind phantom hourglass??? and ive had so many memories with pokemon red.... at least you put ocarina of time at #1, i love dat game