Enchanted Folk And The School Of Wizardry

The new Animal Crossing...

Enchanted Folk And The School Of Wizardry is a rather unique take on the virtual life genre that sees players enrolled as students in a magical boarding school. If that sounds vaguely familiar, that's probably because Enchanted Folk is essentially Animal Crossing meets Harry Potter.

That means a dash of animal classmates, a smattering of magical spells and a whole heap of doing whatever the hell you like! Or so it seems at first. As you delve deeper into its complexities though, you'll discover that this is a much more involving and intriguing game than you first imagined.

Oh, Oh, Oh, It's Magic

The fact that we adored Animal Crossing to the point that it stole over two years of our spare time speaks volumes about Enchanted Folk's ability to, er, enchant us with its gameplay. Granted, it's almost impossible to miss the many, many elements that are influenced by Nintendo's offering. As you explore you'll meet chattering characters, go shopping at a wide variety of stores, send mail to friends and visit friends via wireless play.

You can also turn your wand into a selection of tools including a spade, bug net, fishing rod and watering can. There's also the ability to hand any insects or fish you catch over to the Library for cataloguing. It's appears to be a homage to Animal Crossing but, that said, Enchanted Folk one-ups Animal Crossing by doing the one thing Nintendo's game never did: it's got a point.

Yes, so you can wander round doing whatever you please but as you're a student at a magic school, there are obviously classes to attend where you can learn different spells. These spells can then be used to perform tasks or just have a laugh (naturally, our discovery of a flatulence spell didn't go down so well with our fellow students) but the purpose is to become an excellent student, earn good grades and ultimately become a master wizard. There's also a mysterious door that can be opened once a week to activate 'Mystery Time', during which special visitors will appear who need your help or events like magic tests and contests will occur.

And there are also far more things to do than Animal Crossing ever had. You can learn music and then play it on instruments with other students, go on dates, visit a secret island, explore a haunted house and even send students to your friends wirelessly to 'study abroad'. It's a surprisingly large world and one that'll have you discovering new things constantly.

Like Animal Crossing, it will take up a good chunk of your time but it looks like it will be time well spent. With Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City just offering more of what we already know, it's brilliant to discover something familiar and yet oh-so-fresh.

So while we came in sceptical, we left incredibly impressed. Believe it or not, Konami's efforts might actually be as good as Wild World.

Comments

1. Falcon1991 Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 16:40

I remember being addicted to AC:WW for 9 months...

This looks interesting so I'll keep an eye on it.

2. mcs31 Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 18:18

Looks fun! I still go on both my animal crossings almost everyday, and having something new like spells would hook me more... that cant be good!

3. tomoblob Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 18:18

looks quite good
    looks like one ill be buying
    any more info? release date etc?

4. niallswand Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 18:43

Looks nothing over AC.

Won't be buying it but I'm sure it would be good to some people.

Like all games. :S

5. Mr Hat Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 19:10

r nintendo taking legal action? ITS EXACTLY THE SAME AS ANIMAL CROSSING! EVEN THE PICTURE OF IT ON THE FRONT PAGE IS THE SAME AS SOME ANIMAL CROSSING PIC! OBJECTIIOOOON!

6. Ubahquiet Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 19:43

It's people like this that make me sad. The ones that immediately hate on a game because it has similarities to a Nintendo franchise, like Great Giana Sisters. Calm down, dude.

There are a hell of a lot of similarities between this and Animal Crossing, yes, but there are differences, it's not exactly the same. 1) You're in a magical school with magical spells you can use, letting you do far more things if Konami keeps up with0 the stuff like the farting spell, and 2) there's a point to the game. That's what we know so far, there could be a crapload more differences between the two by the time the game is released, ya know.

Just give it a chance, eh?

Personally I think it'll be a great little game, easily an AC rival. Whether it'll beat it or not remains to be seen...

7. PrincessMango Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 19:48

So, so, so cute! Just like Animal Crossing, but more whimsical! This is sure to be as big as AC! Sheez, I'm a sucker for cute things! XD

8. AbbaCraka Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 21:44

"Hey guys, welcome to the meeting. so anyone have any ideas for a game?"

"Well I have thought about it, though I am not sure your gonna like it..."

"Go on, we have absolutely nothing yet, so anything is fine"

"Well, you know Animal Crossing..."

"Yeah of course"

"I was looking at it a bit and I though it's missing something...The DS version which sold millions will be a couple of years old so I guess it's open territory"

"You mean to say we remake Animal Crossing?"

"NO, no of course not, I say we copy it, and add Magic"

"Wow, you had me worried there for a second."

"Glad you like it"

"Yeah Magic sure is innovative, and of course it isnt copying Animal Crossing really is it, nothing like magic."

"When you think about it, magic was all Animal Crossing really needs now."

9. Link16 Tuesday 3rd Mar 2009 at 22:01

Sounds good but i don't think i'll buy it. No point wasting my money when i've already got ac ww

10. Tommson Wednesday 4th Mar 2009 at 13:26

Ima buy it <3 i r wizard lul

11. Cacnea Wednesday 4th Mar 2009 at 17:06

Have pre-odered...bye bye real life!

12. Mr Resettio Wednesday 4th Mar 2009 at 17:19

*cough* rip off *cough*

sorry, I have a bad cold.

13. Hunter3992 Wednesday 4th Mar 2009 at 20:34

Are you sure you haven't just taken pictures from animal crossing and used them? It looks like the same game :shock:.

14. Mikedot Wednesday 4th Mar 2009 at 21:35

The fans and critics said: "DO SOMETHING NEW WITH ANIMAL CROSSING!"
    Nintendo said: "No! Be quiet and enjoy your City Folk."
    Then Konami said: "*Sigh* Fine... WE'LL do it."

15. Mikedot Wednesday 4th Mar 2009 at 21:54

I assure you, it isn't.

I've played the Japanese version. In my opinion, it's better than AC is almost every way possible.

16. cutestuffrocks Thursday 5th Mar 2009 at 16:56

This sounds good, and the fact that it actually has a point to it makes it even better, but i wonder how big the game is? Is it bigger than animal crossing?

17. Kirby8 Thursday 5th Mar 2009 at 18:23

I think I'll keep an eye on this. Looks fun. I loved Animal Crossing WW, but have gotten to the point where's there's not much left to do. AC:LGTTC didn't change much, so I got bored. This looks like it does all AC does and tons more, so I think this is one to add to my list. Let's hope that the finished product is just as good as it looks now!!

18. AncientMew Thursday 5th Mar 2009 at 18:55

The game does look great, but I'm finding it hard enough to do my daily tasks in my AC life, so another game of the same style would mean me choosing one over the other.

But as far as the game looks, it's deffinately something that could be as big as AC if not bigger. Even though it's a 3rd party game, I did look at the screens and think "Oh, it's a new in-house AC'er" so I'm pretty surprised tbh.

19. Krystalphoenix Thursday 5th Mar 2009 at 22:11

Definitely looks good. I liked Animal Crossing alot when I first played it but all the games seem to just be more of the same, I look forward to seeing a version which has more to offer.

20. fisher2007 Friday 6th Mar 2009 at 14:21

I've played the Japanese version as well can't wait and its better than animal crossing. :D

21. gamingprincess Saturday 7th Mar 2009 at 17:44

8) When is this out Play.com said its Friday is that right.

:roll: So what if it looks like Animal Crossing its game looks good. :D

22. meggiderry Saturday 7th Mar 2009 at 19:10

This is awsome!
    I loves Harry Potter and Animal Crossing! :mrgreen:
    So you can imagin my excitement! :D

How long do I have to wait though? :?

23. Satin Sunday 8th Mar 2009 at 17:27

I have preordered this as love animal crossing. It may be a cheeky copy plus magic but Konami have made some great games like Sukioden.

It due for release here next friday 13th March.

I don't know how to do links on this site but below is the url of the official european website:

24. chunk266 Sunday 15th Mar 2009 at 11:40

this game is good, but i hate that you have to memorize in your head what combination you need and what u have to do to use spells, its really annoying since i have a bad memory and there are a LOT of spells. o and the pace of the game is really slow, its good how it has a point, but im gonna time travel so it gets there faster :twisted:

25. jamie_dude_95 Monday 16th Mar 2009 at 19:19

You dont have to memorise the spells and incantations, all you have to do is press START to open the spell book and review the spells you have learnt and the incantations necessary.

I bought the game Sunday 15th March and it is BRILLIANT but i'm kinda stuck on the Gargoyle level. Someone at ONM!! WHAT DO YOU FEED THE GARGOYLE 8)

26. wilrc6 Wednesday 18th Mar 2009 at 18:16

To be honest I never really got on with the original Animal Crossing on Gamecube, I always felt that there should be more to do.

Enchanyed Folk however seems a bit more packed with things to do.

I will probably buy it

27. Burnout31 Friday 20th Mar 2009 at 16:58

Im not sure if I will buy it but it looks an excellent game.
    Animal Crossing Wild World was great and this one looks like it will be just as godd. :D

28. Burnout31 Friday 20th Mar 2009 at 16:58

Im not sure if I will buy it but it looks an excellent game.

29. Burnout31 Friday 20th Mar 2009 at 16:59

Im not sure if I will buy it but it looks an excellent game.
    Animal Crossing Wild World was great and this one looks like it will be just as good. :D

30. Burnout31 Friday 20th Mar 2009 at 16:59

Im not sure if I will buy it but it looks an excellent game.

31. cntdecidewat2eat Sunday 22nd Mar 2009 at 08:57

When I read the pamphlet that was with ONM41, I thought this looked just like AC. So I don't need Enchanted Folk, as I have LGttC.

32. Gynjanynja Monday 30th Mar 2009 at 16:37

iv got this nd its really gd. its similar to animal crossing but not the same. gone are fruit trees instead you have 6 or so different types of berry bushes which the price of each fruit fluctuates allowin you to make a lot of money.
    the fishing is gd although it is quite hard to catch the biggest of fish as if u do it 2 fast the line will break nd if u leave it alone the fish will get bored nd run away.
    mystery time is gd it spices this up from the usual oplant flower sell fish gameplay etc. also you don't actually sell the fish or insects you donate them, nd in return you get a reward a bigger reward for the bigger the size of the fish or insect (comparitively you can still get a huge sea clown for example)Lastly there are more shops than a.c but this doesnt reli matter as there is a shop specifically for flower, for hair, for clothees etc. I hope u buy it as it is a brilliant game.

33. Oathbreaker Friday 3rd Apr 2009 at 18:41

im gonna get it. it looks fantastic. but it said it would be out on the 13th march and ive seen nothing of it... :( but its good to know its now out. :D where did you get it though coz blockbusters here doesnt have it and its not been reveiwed by onm yet so... please help me... please... :?

34. Linebeck013 Monday 6th Apr 2009 at 12:35

I also wanna know where to find it.I havent seen it at any of my local GAME or Gamestation stores.

I really enjoyed animal crossing,gives you a nice break from all that hardcore gaming. But, this looks even better.

Gunna get it ASAP

35. Gynjanynja Tuesday 7th Apr 2009 at 20:37

one of the problems with this game is that its quite difficult to make a decent amount of money quite quick.
    e.g. in ACWW u can plant fruit trees nd harvest them. however in EFSW when u take berries off the bush it dies meaning that u have to replant most of what u harvest which means u cannot earn as much money quickly.
    lastly i sometimes find that the lessons r the same on some of the days meaioning u cant learn that many spells fast.
    Also i dont think that the furniture has as much character as AC from what iv played so far. There dont seem to be many themes just different bits of similar furniture. stripy etc.

However apart from this it is a very good game and debatedley could be better than AC as there is a poinr. Lastly the turnips in AC relate to berries as their price fluctuates which i suppose means u can make lots of money if u dont care about ur next batch that u need to plant.

36. kandenb Friday 10th Apr 2009 at 12:56

if its as good as the past animal crossing games i might just get it

37. neongiratina Friday 10th Apr 2009 at 20:54

imma gettin this

38. Simon1973 Friday 10th Apr 2009 at 23:06

This seems as if it should be such a big hit, on a par with Animal Crossing, yet a month after its release it isn't in any of the shops (nobody in a Game store I went into today had even heard of it and they couldn't even find it on their ordering system), does not feature at all on Nintendo's own website, and hasn't even been reviewed by ONM. What on earth's going on?

39. STUMPWEASEL Friday 10th Apr 2009 at 23:14

re: I bought the game Sunday 15th March and it is BRILLIANT but i'm kinda stuck on the Gargoyle level. Someone at ONM!! WHAT DO YOU FEED THE GARGOYLE Cool

Try feeding the gargoyle mushrooms (fly agaric I think...), and anything else you find around the place. There are five different things he'll try in all and then you have to catch and feed him all five, one straight after the other. :x

I have to say I'm not enjoying this as much as AC - I know there's more to do but the characters are too needy and way concerned with love and having a boy (or girl) friend. :roll:

Perhaps I'm just a tad cynical. :)

40. canand Tuesday 14th Apr 2009 at 18:34

Why cant I get a guide book for this game?

41. Hugh_Ryan Monday 20th Apr 2009 at 14:10

I bought it and it was the worst money I ever spent. Don't get me wrong, I love AC, especially DS, but this is RUBBISH!!!! Sorry, for some this could be fun, but for me it was too slow, and they made it silly, for instance, you don't walk up stairs, it's automatic, but if you accidentally go too close, up you go, even if you don't want too. Although, I did like the fight with the pirate on lover's island.

42. bethwhowishes Wednesday 2nd Sep 2009 at 11:05

I've been waiting for someone else to notice this. Where the hell is it? ONM raved on about it in the preview so where is the review? Was the game sued or something and they don't want the info released?

43. chill 669 Saturday 12th Dec 2009 at 10:13

sorry to all people who like acww as i hated it as you did NOTHING. but this looks quite good. also when is it going to comeout as it was previewed in issuse 39 in febuary!!! so plz onm tell us when this is comeing! 8)

44. babii4lif3 Sunday 24th Jan 2010 at 05:32

does enchanted folk and the school of wizardry end or continue

45. xshirlyx Sunday 23rd May 2010 at 14:06

how much does this game cost?????????????????????? :?:
    and
    where can u buy it? cause i probably hav enough for the game and ive finished all my other games :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :roll: :?