Star Wars Battlefront Hits DS

Elite Squadron will be released in the autumn...

Star Wars Battlefront will be making its DS debut this autumn The Star Wars shooter has been a hit on consoles and the new handheld version will, for the first time in the series, enable you to fight on multi-level battlefronts on the ground and in space.

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron's story spans the entire Star Wars saga. Playing as X2, a clone trooper created from the DNA of a Jedi Master, you joined the rebellion after being told to eliminate Jedi during Order 66. However, your clone brother X1 chooses a dark path, leading to a confrontation that could determine the fate of the Empire and the Rebellion.

You can fight on foot, drive vehicles on the ground or get involved in dogfights in space. You'll also be able to land your craft and fight on capital starships. We're told that the battles waged on each front will be affected by your actions, so every shot fired and every enemy defeated can affect the outcome of a battle on another front.

The DS version features class-based gameplay that allows you to equip your characters with pre-determined weapon armaments, including heavy weapons, blasters and lightsabers

You'll be able to use your weapons in 4-player skirmishes in a wide number of modes, including the all-new Heroes and Villains mode. This sees you playing as famous Star Wars characters including Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Kit Fisto, Darth Maul and other familiar faces from Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Your battle for the fate of the galaxy will also take you through memomarable planets such as Hoth and Endor.

Have you ever played a Battlefront game? Are you looking forward to the DS version?

Comments

1. sonicfever Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 16:47

Woah, sounds impressive. Wont it be difficult though, to acheive this on the DS? Is it possible it will be DSi exclusive, with DSi having a larger processor?

Anyhow, sounds awesome, if it goes well, definately buying.

2. ILoveWii Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 16:51

This on DS?

Well, we'll see how the graphics fare.

3. mattyboy Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 17:01

i would rather have it on wii though :cry:

Will the mulitplayer be online or DS download?
    That said, does the DSi even have DS download

EDIT: This will suck compared to the PSP version. They have 16 player online with stat tracking. The DS has 4 player :evil:

4. AMthedude Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 17:27

This will either be really awful or really awesome. I'm hoping for the latter.

5. noodle link Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 17:36

This will either be really awful or really awesome.

this.

anyway, this game has been rumored for ages now, hope it's good.

6. deadboy522 Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 17:52

This sounds like it could be really good if they can pull it off. I've played the PS2 versions and they were really good

7. Wii_With_Mii Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 18:08

I still have the first two for PS2, and they were pretty awesome. I might get it if it's any good.

8. master dingley Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 18:09

I'm actually really disappointed.
    I loved the original 2 battlefronts, then I played the PSP versions and they just disappointed. I do not think this will be anymore than a weaker port of the PSP one. Even if it is built for the DS I'll still be pretty peeved.

I've been looking forward to Battlefront 3 for years now, if we ever do get it I cannot wait to get on xbox live and kick some arse.
    I may look into getting it, but its certainly not what I wanted from the series, battlefront 2 was fantastic but not on the 360, online therefore was dead.
    A new game with a few new maps, jedi and better online and graphics would be perfect for me.

9. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 18:36

Battlefront was good, Battlefront II was fantastic, but Battlefront: Renegade Squadron was a bit of a letdown, so let's hope that this remains to the series' roots

10. JohnWilliam Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 19:11

This on DS?

Well, we'll see how the graphics fare.

i would rather have it on wii though

Both my thoughts.

11. SpinachPuffs Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 00:20

The Star Wars Battlefront games were my favourite PS2 games bar none - even if poor reviews hit this title, I'll be picking it up :D

12. TomC_94 Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 07:48

The PS2 Battlefront games are some of my fav games ever. I don't care about the graphics, if this translates well and we don't end up with an on-rails or RTS then this game will be awesome. Now I want Battlefront 3 Wii please. Now.

13. txywiki Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 08:24

im so getting this!!! :lol:
    i loved star wars battlefront 2 on the xbox :wink:

14. Jedi Metroid Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 08:37

I've never played a Battlefront game, so if this is good, I'll be getting it.

15. Gordon Ramsey Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 10:20

Let's hope it's not another "above par" Star Wars game.

16. Dr. Peripheral Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 11:48

This is a 'must buy', I love the battlefront games.
    Although I hope they get they get it right.

Would have preferred a Wii one too.

17. monkeyman_55 Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 12:31

NOOOOOOOOO!! Put it on Wii - we all know lightsaber action is awesome; especially with motionPlus plus you have the pointer and zapper for blasters and then the Heatseeker controls for flying; GET IT OUT ON WII!!!

18. chaos creator Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 12:43

This has to have online multiplayer, its what made the other battlefront games good (or at least in my eyes)

19. Causton Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 15:25

Yay! I have both battlefront games on my old ps2 and they're still brilliant! I was never able to get an internet cable for my ps2 so I couldn't join in online! If this comes with online i'll be so happy, please let it come with good graphics too (for ds anyway it already looks impressive). Touchwood, it will meet expectatons and then some. Oh and I hope they bring out a tie-in or sequel of some sort for wii! Then i'll have the perfect package - battlefront on the go and at home! This will be simply essential!

20. mastr.sword Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 16:26

It looks quite good but i don't see why this Battlefront would be better on DS than on the Wii.

21. Googoo12444 Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 19:14

Were pretty awesome? They still are!

22. Googoo12444 Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 19:17

Were pretty awesome? They still are!

23. yoshilad11 Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 19:28

i played and loved the first 2 on ps2 but i think it will be quite hard for them to capture the brilliance of the first 2 on to the DS. Maybe if it were on Wii...

24. mr FBE Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 20:29

i always thought battlefront 2 belonged on the gamecube. i own the ps2 version and i think the cube could've handled the graphics and gameplay.

if it were for dsi, what with the better graphics and processing power, i might consider buying one.

i just hop they dont ruin this

25. Sheikah-link Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 20:52

This is a 'must buy', I love the battlefront games.
    Although I hope they get they get it right.

Would have preferred a Wii one too.

This.

I cannot wait.

26. hellsvortex Wednesday 27th May 2009 at 22:22

now i wish my ds hadnt been stolen bring it to wii as well

27. lrwr14 Thursday 28th May 2009 at 09:58

wow awesome, they should make it fps when on ground.

28. Kolo67 Thursday 28th May 2009 at 13:38

If the graphics fare well, and they include an FPS option, then I'll get this. I'd rather have FPS than third person.
    The Space battles look good, but I hope that the missiles are easier to use then in number 2.
    And, as long as they make the mapes desent enough, then I'm buying this. No question.
    I'll keep my eyes open for the news on this one.
    Do we know when the release date is yet?

29. OrangeRakoon Thursday 28th May 2009 at 18:39

Battlefront II on PSP is one of my favourite games ever, I still play it regularly. I don't know exactly why, but there is something about the whole game that I love, much more than the PS2 version even.

Renegade squadron was good, but not as good, with lack of first person and the different aiming making it worse, in my opinion. And I didn't like the online. The space battles were a great improvement over II though, and that was the main selling point for me.

I will definitely buy this, but I don't know how good it will be. Like people have said, it will either be really good, or god awful. I'm not too fond of the camera angle for ground battles, but it IS on DS I suppose.

*hopes for TIE Defenders again*

_________________

Member of the Battalion Brothers
    I HAVS A PICTURE SIGS

30. Plimwog Thursday 28th May 2009 at 20:40

1st 2 battlefronts on ps2 were AWESOME

The graphics will b the biggest hurdle

However it is a good idea and i will look out for the review

would of been better on wii tho

31. markdean2012 Friday 29th May 2009 at 15:36

may i remind everyone about gta on the ds no one thought it would work but it did! so maybe this could be another major surpise and be really good.

32. markdean2012 Friday 29th May 2009 at 15:47

i just hop they dont ruin this

same but the cube did get a very similar game called star wars: clone wars (no it wasn't based on the animated movie/tv show)
    and also the cube had rogue squadron 2 & 3 which were two good star wars games.

33. Eternal Darkness Friday 29th May 2009 at 16:16

I would that this would be an ace fps, but seeing as it isn't I'm not that excited but still it's coming to DS and I loved these on the PS2, they were epic =D

Now this needs online to make this game better.

34. KoopaKart Sunday 31st May 2009 at 09:18

played both on ps2 they were great! hope this will be as good!

35. KoopaKart Sunday 31st May 2009 at 09:19

played both on ps2 they were great! hope this will be as good!

36. orra Sunday 31st May 2009 at 19:37

I've played battlefront on my cousin's xbox. Hope some touchscreen controls are put in!

37. piece_of_kit Monday 1st Jun 2009 at 18:48

I played Battlefront 2 to death on Xbox. I agree though - why not on Wii? From the screenshots its not looking like an TPS or FPS (well at least for the on-foot sections). I hope they include the Hunter mode from BF2 where you killed Rebels as a Wampa!!! Fingers crossed I guess....