E3: Miyamoto Discusses Pikmin 3

He apologises for its no-show but assures us it's coming

Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed last night that a new Pikmin game is still in development, despite nothing having been announced at Nintendo's E3 conference.

Miyamoto explained that because Nintendo is working on so many others games like New Super Mario Bros Wii, Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the next unseen Wii Zelda, they've not had time to expand the Pikmin team yet.

As such, a brand new Pikmin game is in development, but because it's a small team just now it isn't ready to be shown yet.

What are your thoughts for Pikmin 3? Anything you'd like to see in it?

Comments

1. HNF1 Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 09:39

I hope, and am sure, it will be better than Little King's Story. LKS was awesome so it would be nice to see Captain Olimar and the Pikmin do even better. Fair play to Miyamoto for at least mentioning it despite it not being officially 'announced'. Ah man all these awesome games are making my head explode.

2. shy guy 64 Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 09:51

pikmin 3 for definet

so he wasn't talking about new play control back then

3. Ai64 Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:36

Pikmin 3? yes! Miyamoto you can do it.

I would like to play as different characters in the game (e.g olimar's son).

4. The Arbiter Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:22

I loved Pikmin 1 and 2 on the Cube, so I'll definetely pick this up when it's launched. I preferred the Pikmin 2 engine to the Pikmin 1 engine, so I hope that 3 is based more off of 2.

5. Mario maniac Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 14:02

PIKMIN 3 NOW!?!?!?!
    FLIPPIN' BOO-YAH!!!! (again)

6. Zelda_V1.1 Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 14:06

Pikman 3 awsome... e3 keeps getting better!

7. nintendoguy1214 Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 14:39

I think I'll die of the surprises...galaxy 2,new metroid,mario bros. wii, spirit tracks,new layton... wii sports resort, new zelda wii with motion plus and to top it off,pikmin 3?WOW :shock:

8. Jman_Vere Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 15:04

what he said

9. The Arbiter Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 17:14

what he said

I fail to understand why people think this years E3 sucked, due to the huge content shown as conveniently summed up in the above post.

10. Poke-J Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 18:19

Yay a game I'm actually looking forward too.

11. PsychoPikmin Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 19:35

I was extremely pleased with what Nintendo produced at their conference at E3, but was also extremely disappointed that there was NO PIKMIN!!!!

Please hurry up Nintendo!

12. Medathos Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 19:42

Yeah finally....

Now online Co-op play with the Wii Speak

and that will be Very nice indeed |:D

13. chaos creator Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 19:46

Time for something a bit more......industrial to happen in the series, so a abandoned city environment might make a good change, silver (metal) pikmin anyone. I actually don't care about the characters as thats not what this game is about, just a big change that will interest me to come back for the third time and build up another army.

14. PurplePikmin2009 Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 20:16

OH YES!!! Finally, it's absolutely official! I was gonna get some more games by saving up, but heck, now that I know, I'm saving for this! I'll put that money away untill they release a date and carry on saving for more games. Has anyone noticed something? In Pikmin 2 there was 2 new types of Pikmin, and 2 characters(That could be controlled at one time-so that EXCLUDES Shacho). So I think that in Pikmin 3 they should have 3 new types of Pikmin and 3 characters. AND WHO THINK IT WOULD BE COOL WITH WI-FI, 4-player battle and a co-op story mode(HEY THAT'S 3 NEW MODES!). Cos I would!

15. Medathos Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 20:21

Yeah with some Wii Speak for the Co-op play online :D that would be sweat :D

16. Googoo12444 Wednesday 3rd Jun 2009 at 21:48

Oh thought that pikmin 3 was originally on gamecube like 1+2 an it was a new play control. I dont know much about the pikmin series So it's a new game alltgether!

17. PurplePikmin2009 Thursday 4th Jun 2009 at 20:21

Yeah with some Wii Speak for the Co-op play online :D that would be sweat :D

That would be sweat? But yeah, it would be cool with wii speak-(Using wii speak)"I'm gonna fight that bulborb over there!" *Other person* "But I need help against this Gatling Groink!" *Me*"Well, i'll come and whoop it!"- assistance by speaking! :D

18. linktothefuture Friday 5th Jun 2009 at 18:47

This game is goin to be wasome no matter how long it takes. I hope it is on ds it would be perfect! 8)

19. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Friday 5th Jun 2009 at 20:00

what he said

Yes, good point. I've seen one person moan:

What about Luigi's Mansion 2, NPC Super Mario Sunshine, F-Zero and Star Fox? You've lost a loyal fan Nintendo...

This makes me think, what must nintendo do? this year has been immense, perhaps even championing E3 2006. Sure, there could have been alot more games, but there already has been a hellish new load revealed

20. mcs31 Saturday 6th Jun 2009 at 13:33

Their priorities are the marios and zeldas right now so most of the pikmin 3 team will come from those teams I guess. Thats good becuase I want to buy Three mario games and both those zeldas! That is too much money :cry:

21. Time-Bomb Monday 8th Jun 2009 at 20:28

I hope they learnt their lesson from Pikmin 1 and don't put any sort of time limit on the gameplay.

Also i want to see new types of pikmin...maybe one with wings or one's with a cannon built into their chests.

22. FriarLawrenceIII Monday 22nd Jun 2009 at 20:09

what he said

1st of all, the presentation was AWFUL. 10 minutes of good stuff in an hour long show? Not good for the mood. No pokemon g/s trailer? No Monkey island/zelda trailer in conference? Abandonment of DSI(actual software)?No mention of wiiware? Secondly, i'm not a mario fan. They all (2d side anyway) get extremely repetitive IMO.
    Thirdly, Wii sports resort doesn't interest me as i found the original lackluster. Fourthly, half the items in that list were already announced.

Nintendo's conference was the worst of the three, but still miles ahead of last year.

23. dflash1000 Sunday 24th Jan 2010 at 22:46

I would like to see lots more colors; pink girl pikmin, black evil pikmin, or grey fungus pikmin. I also liked the story of pikmin 1 better than 2. It was about life or death, not just collecting money. Maybe in addition to going down holes, they could also go up trees and explore. More of louie's recipes and Olimar's facts. I love pikmin.